Edmund Knaffle, 100, formerly of Manistee, passed away peacefully on July 13 in Grand Rapids, near his daughter, Mary.
To plant a memorial tree in honor of Edmund "Ed" Knaffle, please visit our Heartfelt Sympathies Store.
Ed was born May 2, 1920, in Cheboygan, Michigan, to Harriet and Carl Knaffle. On April 29, 1944, he married Delphine (Del) Drewnak, who preceded him in death on October 2, 2009. He was also preceded in death by his sister Dorothy Fredrickson.
Ed retired from Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. He proudly referred to the company as "Mother Met," and enjoyed working with the people on his route.
Ed was a member of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, formerly St. Peter's Lutheran, and was the choir director for 52 years. He remained in the choir until he moved to Grand Rapids in August 2017.
As an Army surgical technician with the 20th Field Hospital during WWII, Ed served on Attu in the Aleutian Islands and in Europe. During his time in Europe, Ed played trumpet in a three-man band called Eeny, Meenie, Minie--Ain't no Moe. He was proud of his service, and at the time of his death was one of only a relative few remaining veterans of WWII.
Ed was a storyteller, golfer, fisherman, and avid hunter. The hunting camp co-founded by his father, called Chiselers' Lodge, was his home away from home during deer season for many years.
Ed is survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Mary and Bill Moore of Grand Rapids; granddaughter and grandson-in-law, Hadley Moore and Dustin Morris of Vicksburg, MI; grandson, Spencer Moore, a great-granddaughter, Willa, both of Grand Rapids; sister Shirley Jankowiak of Manistee; and many loved nieces and nephews, who enjoyed hearing his stories.
Ed's family is grateful to the amazing staff of Cobblestone Manor, who took such good care of him, entertained him, and made him laugh, and for the many friends he made there.
A memorial service will be held at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church at a later time. The family has entrusted arrangements to Oak Grove Funeral Home & Cremation Center of Manistee.